Hunter Education History, Hunter Responsibility and Wildlife Management
In this class students learn a brief history of Hunter Education, Hunting Heritage, a Hunter’s Responsibility, and Wildlife Management. It is one thing to become a hunter, but it is knowing; why we hunt, where hunting came from, and hunting ethically and responsibly that makes the difference.
· Why Hunter Education?
· Hunter Education Funding Sources
· Why Do We Have Hunting Laws?
· Hunter Ethics
· The Five Stages of Hunter Development
· Wildlife Conservation
· Wildlife Management and Conservation Principles
· Wildlife Identification
The Student should be able to…
· state the purpose of hunter education
· give two reasons why hunter education is important
· name five sources of hunter education funding
· name three hunting-related projects for which the Federal Aid in Wildlife Restoration funds are used
· describe the behavior of a responsible hunter
· give three examples of how you can be involved in making hunting a respected sport
· give five reasons why we have hunting laws
· identify opportunities to go hunting on public and private lands
· state how the “father of wildlife management” defined ethical behavior
· describe how responsible and ethical hunters show respect for natural resources
· describe how responsible and ethical hunters show respect for other hunters, landowners, and non-hunters
· list and describe the five stages of hunter development
· give three examples of what you can do to be involved in making hunting a respected sport
· define wildlife conservation and how it differs from preservation
· list the five essential elements for wildlife habitat
· define carrying capacity
· list the factors that limit wildlife populations
· explain the role of hunting in wildlife conservation
· give five examples of wildlife management practices and explain how each helps conserve wildlife populations
· list the five groups commonly used to divide wildlife
· explain why the correct identification of wildlife is crucial for hunting
· give one example of a large mammal and some of its distinguishing features
· tell where to find more information on identifying characteristics, habitat and range of common wildlife species
Copyright © 2016 MSC Camp Wilderness all rights reserved.
All photos property of MSC Camp Wilderness and may not be used without expressed written consent.